Marek Just, MD, PhD, Coordinator of the Department of General Surgery and Endocrinology
Dariusz Nitka, MD, Assistant Coordinator
Sylwia Miglus, MD
Andrzej Kabziński, MD
Krzysztof Wermiński, MD
Przemysław Michalski, MD
Danuta Olszak-Koziołek, Nurse Coordinator
Ewa Witkiewicz, Nurse Coordinator at the Operating Theatre
Doctors working at the Department of General Surgery and Endocrinology are second degree specialists in general surgery.
Medical staff working at our Department have earned certificates in the field of ultrasonography of the abdominal cavity, superficial organs, as well as in the field of colour doppler ultrasound of veins.
Our nursing staff have attended advanced training courses on complex stoma care, modern methods of treatment of bedsores, antithrombotic therapy management, as well as courses on nursing care of elderly, disabled, chronically ill and burn patients. All nurses are properly qualified to transfuse blood components and blood derivatives.
Hospital outpatient clinics provide ultrasound-guided fine needle aspiration biopsy (UGFNAB) of the thyroid gland and breasts, as well as core needle biopsy of the breasts.
We perform endoscopic examination of the upper and lower gastrointestinal tract – endoscopic diagnosis and treatment along with arresting haemorrhages, as well as percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy (PEG).
The Department provides “emergency – non-stop” medical services for residents of Piekary Śląskie and neighbouring communes (about 60, 000 people). Approximately 850-900 patients are treated at the Department of General Surgery annually.
The Department renders healthcare services to the residents of Piekary Śląskie and patients from other Polish cities.
Approximately 700 surgical procedures are performed at our Department annually.
Surgical procedures performed at the Department of General Surgery and Endocrinology:
1. Thyroid and parathyroid surgery in full scope along with total thyroid gland removal due to neoplastic diseases.
2. Laparoscopic cholecystectomy, liver and bile duct surgery in selected cases.
3. Surgical treatment of breast glands:
– Simple breast lump removal
– Breast amputation due to neoplastic disease
– Breast conserving therapy (BCT)
– Vaccum-assisted core needle breast biopsy (Mammotomy)
4. Hernia repairs with the use of a synthetic material – “mesh”.
5. Surgical treatment of the stomach, duodenum, small and large intestines. Surgical procedures performed due to neoplastic diseases.
6. Proctological surgery of:
– Anal fissure
– Perianal fistulas
– Perianal abscesses.
7. Surgical treatment of lower limb varices.
Since 2006 Thyroid Disease Prevention Programme has been carried out at the Department, which is directed to the residents of our town. Approximately 3500 residents have been examined within the programme. The programme was summarised and published in the form of a monograph.
Head of the Department: tel. 032 39 38 147
Doctors’ on-call room: tel. 032 39 38 118
Nurses’ station: tel. 032 39 38 122